Giant Swing in Thailand
The Giant Swing is a religious structure and one of the most tourist attraction in Thailand. It is located in Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand. It was formerly used in an old Brahmin ceremony. It was constructed in 1784 in front of the Devasathan shrine by King Rama|. During the region of Rama || the swing ceremony was discontinued as the swing had become structurally damaged by lightning. In 1920 it was renovated and moved to its current location in order to make space for a gas plants. The ceremony was again performed until 1935, when it was discontinued after several fatal accidents. The last renovations were done in 1959 and after 45 years of exposure to the elements the wooden pillars were showing signs of serious damage. A major reconstruction began in April 2005. Six teak tree trunks were used . The two used for the main structure of the swing are over 3.5m in circumference and over 30m in height. The remaining four are used for support and are 2.30m in circumference and 20m in height. The swing was taken down in late October 2006 and the work finished in December of the same year.
The rebuilt swing was dedicated in Royal ceremonies presided over by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej in September 2007. The timbers of the original swing are preserved in the Bangkok National Museum.
Most of the important places around the Giant Swing such as Wat Suthat Thep Wararam, SarnChoa Po Seu, LanKonMueng .
The Wat Suthat Thep Wararam commonly shortened to Wat Suthat , here comes many people often make pilgrimages to worship the Buddha especially on holy days such as Visakha Bucha Day, Magna Bucha Day.
SarnChoa Po Seu it is the place of worship for Thai and Chinese people seeking success in career, money, love and infant fertility.
LanKonMueng , here people come for various activities such as dance aerobics, jogging, stroll around , gather or just relax , bring children or pets out for a walk and enjoy the breeze.
Wikipedia &Thailand Culture