Nutritons of Lentils
Lentils is one of the most favorite food in the world. Lentils are legume seeds of a plant. Its botanical name is Lens culinaris. Lentils are believed to have originated in Central Asia but now it worldwide. Lentils are classified according to whether they are large or small in size. It has green or brown,black,yellow, red and orange colour. Lentils are round ,oval or heart shaped disks are small in size.
Types of Lentils
Lentils have various types. According to Wikipedia
★ Beluga, black,bead like shape, named for resemblance to Beluga Caviar
★ Brown/Spanish pardina
★ French green Put lentils (Lens esculents puyensis)
★ Dark/Light green
★ Yellow/tan lentils (red inside)
★ Red chief (decorticated yellow lentils
★ Eaton green (small green)
★ Richlea(medium green)
★ Laird ( large green)
★ Mascot (brown skinned lentils which are orange inside)
★ Big Mexican yellow lentils
Nutritional Value of Lentils
According to the World Healthiest Food, lentils have wonderful flavours from other foods and seasonings are high in nutritional value. Lentils are an excellent source of molybdenum and folate. On the other hand it is a good source of dietary fiber, copper,phosphorus, manganese, iron,protein, vitamin B1,vitamin B6,zinc, potassium and pantothemic acid.
There are following nutrients in 100g dry red lentils.
Sodium 5 mg
Potassium 1010 mg
Carbohydrates 60 g
Fiber 18 g
Soluble fiber 4 g
Insoluble fiber 14 g
Sugar 1 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 10%
Health Benefits of Lentils
Lentils are one of the best all-natural mast substitute food. There are following benefits of lentils:
(1) Lentils is a good source of filling fiber. It helps improve heart, digestive and immune function by carrying waste,excess fat and toxins out of the body. Mediterranean diet,regularly eat lentils.
(2) Lentils is one of the best source of soluble fiber , which makes a man very beneficial for lowering cholesterol and preventing heart disease. Researchers have found , lentils prevent hypertension.
(3) Lentils are one of the most alkaline protein sources, which is important for balancing the body’s pH level and it promote a healthy gut environment. It also helps prevent constipation, IBS,inflammatory bowel diseases, diarrhea. Also help promote healthy bacterial growth.
(4) Research indicates that the high level of soluble fiber found in lentils traps glucose from carbohydrates and slows down digestion.
(5) Lentils are considered one of the best source of plant based high protein foods.
Used in Beauty Care
Lentils paste mix with honey and yogurt, massage your body, after 15-20 minutes well washed and you feel fresh.
Nutritionist & Doctor Josh Axe by draxe.com
Related links nutritiondata.self.com