Collection of Sri Lankan Sweets
Sri Lanka is well known its sweets in South Asia. Sweets usually served at tea times in here.
Recipe of some notable sweets in Sri Lankan cuisine.
Kevum or Kavum , also known as Oil cake.
200 g brown sugar
1 cup finely ground rice flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tspn of vanila
3/4 cup cold water or treacle ( treacle is a uncrystallized syrup made during the refining sugar)
1/2 cup coconut milk
Oil for deep frying
Mix all ingredients together and keep aside for two hours.
Now add the coconut milk , keep for some time until it becomes a runny cake batter consistancy.
The batter should have an american pan cake batter consistancy.
Heat oil in a pan.
When the oil is hot,keep the heat on medium low.
Now pour a 2/3 cup(from the 1/4 size measuring cup) of batter into the oil.
When the cake gets fried and comes up,poke the skewer into the center of the cake and pour a very little of batter on to the skewer,pour it to the skewer a little bit higher to the oil so that it will drip along the skewer and touchers the cake very gently.
Now quickly take the frying spoon and keep splashing the hot oil to the batter which droped on to the cake. Keep the skewer twisting around the kevum standing up.
When the kevum is a little cooked,then turn the cake to the other side to get cooked. When it will be dark brown then remove from heat.
Reference: Sri Lankan cuisine
Roasted white rice flour – 500g
Sugar – 400g
Cardamom – 6
Pepper corn – 5
Cashew nuts – 15nos
Water 1 1/2 cup
• Roast the rice flour until fragrant and set aside.
• Dust a rectangular pan with the flour and set aside.
• Dry roast the cardamom and pepper and grind to make powder.Add the ground powder to the rice flour and mix .
• Chop the cashew nuts coarsely and roast until golden. Keep aside.
• Add the sugar in a pan and add 1 and half cup water and bring to boil.
• Add the roasted cashew nuts into the syrup.
When the sugar syrup reaches the thread stage add the roasted rice flour and keep stirring.
• When the mixture leaves the pan remove from the heat and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
• Flatten the mixture evenly on top and sprinkle some rice flour on top of it.
• Leave to set for 4 hours and cut into diamonds.
Reference link: www.allsrilankanrecipes.com